Friday, June 13, 2008

Wood carving 101, and a new necklace


When Taueret asked me about the possibility of doing a trade on Etsy, I got excited. She's an excellent weaver and I love textiles...a lot. As we went back and forth about the design for her necklace, I decided that I wanted to add a bit of something extra special. So, after a long while of not working with it, I got out a little piece of walnut wood and went about carving a leaf charm.

It was a lot harder then I remember. Hack sawing out the shape was fine, but then three million years later I'm sitting there filing going "I remember this bit as going faster." Ah the rosy glow of nostalgia!

This was also my first time using olive oil as a finish. I've seen a number of eco-minded crafters use it on things like wooden buttons, and I thought I'd give it a try. I must say it worked nicely. If I find myself crazy enough to make my own wooden buttons, I'll be trying it again. I've got that nice piece of cherry....

3 comments:

Taueret said...

holy moly, you MADE the leaf charm? for me? I loe it even more now! thanks!

Hyla Waldron said...

This piece is really amazing and unique. You did a fantastic job!
~Hyla

Shirley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.